Three new coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Western Australia, all returned overseas travellers, and one of them has been hospitalised.
Premier Mark McGowan said the travellers were two West Australians and one person from NSW who arrived from the UK, Middle East and India.
The other two are in hotel quarantine.
“That just shows that we still have the threat of COVID coming in from overseas and that’s why our hotel quarantine system is so important, that it’s managed properly and we avoid any spread of the virus into the general community,” Mr McGowan told reporters on Tuesday.
At a feisty National Cabinet meeting on Friday, the Labor leader managed to convince Prime Minister Scott Morrison to compromise his plan to repatriate more Aussies stranded overseas.
Mr McGowan was angry he’d heard about the proposal through a journalist, saying the state was given too little notice to accept more arrivals in one hit under the original plan.
It will now ramp up under two stages, with WA taking an extra 200 travellers from next week and a further 300 per week from October 12, lifting the state’s total intake to 1025 per week, up from 525 currently.
Mr McGowan insisted more Australian Defence Force support was needed to police hotel quarantine, which some people have skipped out on, including Paul John Lawrence, who went to the pub.
He was fined $7500 in Perth Magistrates Court on Monday.
The toughest penalty was handed to Asher Vander Sanden, who snuck into WA from Victoria in the back of a truck to avoid quarantine.
She was sentenced to six months and one day behind bars but won an appeal last week and was re-sentenced to 50 hours of community service work.
The new cases bring the total number of active cases in WA to six.